Blocked drains are the messy part of the indoor plumbing. But you can troubleshoot those issues to prevent them from recurring. First, we must know what causes drain blockage-
Dirt and in most cases, hair causes the drainage clogging in most bathrooms when they stick to the inside of the drainage pipe wall. Layers of these things ultimately block the pipe and reduce water passing flow.
- To prevent blockage people must clean their drain stopper.
- Use a drain plunger to block an over-flowed drain of the sink or tub.
- Even if that fails, clean the drain elbow. Routinely clean drain stoppers to prevent blocked drains and trapped hair by using hair strainer cover over your drain.
Many times, people flush down non-biodegradable objects down the drainage system like female hygiene products, ear swabs, dental floss, diaper wipes etc.
- Here also plunger comes as a very important tool to clean the drain clog. Some plungers shoot water forcibly to clear out the drain pipe. Some also have bacterial coatings on them.
- You can use some hand-powered and cheap drain auger. It can reach 2-5 feet inside the toilet’s drain pipe to retrieve clogged items or break those things to make a clear path for water passing.
- It is best to prevent blocked drains by putting wastes into the dustbin rather than throwing them in the drainage system. The drains should be cleaned on a regular basis
Cooking oils can clog up your kitchen sink drainage pipe when they stick to the walls. Along with that when soap crumbs and some un-dissolved particles of food get attached, you get a stubborn clog.
- Run hot water through the kitchen sink drain to clear out the clogs. Then put some drop of dish detergent down the drain and follow it up with some hot water again. Use the plunger after few minutes and drain down the hot water again.
- If that fails to clear the blocked drain, you must use chemical drain opener but that too with proper caution.
- Dispose of kitchen oils and grease after they get non-greasy by putting them into a disposable bag and then seal it. Throw that out into the garbage bin. Small amount of oil or grease should be cleaned with hot water and dish washer.
- Let a plumber inspect why you are getting clogged drains constantly. They can tell you if your drain lines are properly designed and installed.
When through the drains enough air passes, the wastes and water drain out properly without any problem. Your wastes in the toilet will clear out very quickly after you flush when there is good venting is available, instead of creating a blocked drain. You may hear some gurgling sound when toilet flush is triggered, if the venting doesn’t help to let enough amount of air in. Venting prevents sewer gases to build up to a dangerous level inside any residential area.
Slopes of drain pipes also determine how well the water is carrying out the wastages to the sewer line. Too much slope can leave the waste behind as water runs too fast through it. It generates blockage after a certain period. Like that, less slopes will also ensure blockage because water and wastes will pool inside the pipe.
- Check if anything is blocking the opening of the vent pipe. Birds or other small animals can build nests on the un-enclosed vent pipes as they get some warmth. All these contribute to create a blocked drain.
- Check the gulp valves which can be found at another end of the drain line. These valves prevent the sewer gasses from escaping and let the air in through the vent pipe for enough suction. You may need to replace that if you don’t hear any gulping sound of water when it is sucked through the gulp valve.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!