Are you guilty of only wearing shades of blue, brown, and grey every day? Is your wardrobe nothing but an assortment of neutrals? We have a few styling tips for men you can use to brighten your closet.
It’s time to put those dull and drab days are behind by choosing colors and prints for your outfits. With a few alterations and changes, you’ll have several stylish, spectacular, and not-so-basic outfits ready to wear.
Let’s have a look:
1. Build Your Outfit around Neutrals
The odds of you owning at least one grey, black, white, or blue pants are high. You might even have something in more earthy tones, like a brown or beige combo. Matching earthy colors with a green shirt or accessories (like shoes, ties, and bags) is an excellent way to update your wardrobe.
Additionally, basics work as the foundation of more energetic looks. You can pair them off well with lively shades like orange, purple, and yellow. Or stick to low-key solids like blues and maroons.
The key here lays in creating a harmonious look by finding colored separates that complement each other. Once you find a match, you can elevate your everyday ensembles without missing a beat.
You can switch things up by swapping black/brown outerwear with lively colors. For low-key looks, a deep blue, purple, or red shade can do wonders. Alternatively, you can team your basic shirts and pants with a printed blazer if you’re feeling adventurous.
2. Upgrade Your Shirt Collection
Monochromatic tees are a man’s best friend when you want some extra color, but don’t want to go overboard. Having a roster of different shaded tees for more versatility. These pieces are easier to incorporate than fancy suits or other complex pieces.
Try it with styles you wear (i.e. chinos, button-downs, polos, and t-shirts). Additionally, make sure you have a few interesting shades for both casual and business wear.
So how do you work with colored shirts?
- Select soft pastel shades (blush pink or lavender) for lazy weekends and lunch dates.
- Buy white t-shirts with colored collars and details to make a subtle statement.
- Slip in a colored T-shirt under your basic blazer.
In all these scenarios, pair your colorful shirts with solid separates or neutrals. Otherwise, your ensemble will look too busy and chaotic.
The best part about this styling tip for men is that you can mix and match the same shirt with different separates. Not only does it freshen up your look, but you get a brand new ensemble without pulling out your wallet.
3. Have Fun with Prints & Patterns
In this day and age, you can get novelty ties and customized t-shirts with ease. Make the most of this fashion trend by adding a personal element to your outfit. For instance, you can wear a dark blue tie with anchor prints as a nod to your nautical pursuits. Or wear themed socks during the holidays.
Other colorful ideas include:
- Wearing patterned ties (i.e. plaids, geometric shapes, diagonal stripes) with suits and business ensembles.
- If you’re bold and courageous enough to break the norm, you can select a printed suit for social events.
- Grab a few fun prints (like a Hawaiian shirt) for vacations and parties.
- Choose floral prints for outwear to create a spring-centric look.
Lastly, the possibilities are endless here when you’re experimenting with prints. Comfort and personal preferences remain a constant when you shop for prints. We recommend selecting low-key options before buying something dramatic.
4. The Ultimate Styling Tip for Men: Accessorize!
Look beyond your apparel and grab a few accessories to make a colorful statement. Everything from striped scarves, printed vests, colored watchbands, bright-hued shoes to bold bags works for this endeavor.
However, this styling tip for men can go awry quickly. That’s because it’s easy to get carried away when you’re accessorizing.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Ensure your accent piece matches the rest of your ensemble.
- If you’re wearing multiple accessories, make sure they are the same color.
- Choose lighter or darker shades of accessories instead of going for a monochromatic look.
- Try selecting one standout accessory to brighten your outfit.
- Color coordinate ties, vests and pocket squares for formal attire.
- Use colorful suspenders to make business ensembles pop.
In short, be mindful of your accessories to create an effortless and classy look. Otherwise, the mish-mash of colors will make heads turn for all the wrong reasons.
It’s a Wrap!
In the end, mastering the color wheel is as easy as one, two, and three. These styling tips for men will give you a nudge in the right direction. All you need are some neutrals to build a solid foundation, lively layers, and colorful t-shirts. You can throw in prints and patterns to jazz up your ensemble from time to time.
When all else fails, pair your basics with an accent accessory to add a pop of color.
Now go add some color to your closet with Square for Men.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!