How to Get Justified Compensation in Case of a Hit-and-Run Accident?

In the April of 2019, the UK reported 91,199 road accidents. This number was a drop from the average 100,000+ accidents per month on the back of the COVID-19 lockdown. Thousands of people get injured in road accidents every day, and hundreds lose their lives. Likewise, hit and run accidents are also a common occurrence on the roads where innocent victims suffer due to irresponsible drivers.

If you have been in an unfortunate situation like this, it’s not the end for you. The physical, emotional, and financial blow suffered due to a hit-and-run road accident can be compensated with the help of a reputable solicitor.

Here’s how you can get justified compensation if another driver has wronged you on the road. No matter you’re a driver on a car, motorbike, bicycle, or pedestrian, the UK laws protect your right warrants your safety.

What is a Hit-and-Run Accident?

 A hit-and-run accident is a road accident where a driver, after hitting a car, person, or property, flees the scene without providing a contact number or details. In most cases, the drivers are uninsured, panic, or want to avoid the legal implications of the accident. However, fleeing the scene in such a manner is considered a criminal offense.

What to do as a victim of a hit-and-run?

If you have suffered injuries in case of a hit-and-run accident, you can approach police, Motors Insurer Bureau (MIB), and a personal injury solicitor to pursue a claim.

Who can start a hit-and-run claim?

Anyone who sustains injuries during a hit-and-run accident can start a claim to get compensation, whether you’re a car passenger or driver, cyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian. You’re eligible to file for a personal injury claim.

When can you file a claim?

From the day of the accident till three years, one can file a compensation claim for a hit-and-run accident. However, it’s advised to reach out to authorities and seek legal assistance at the earliest to ensure the evidence is not lost.

Who will be liable?

The driver who has fled the scene is primarily liable to pay you the damages. However, if the driver’s identity remains a mystery, the police and MIB will ensure that the driver is found and the due compensation is paid.

How to Start a Claim for Hit-and-Run Accident?

For detailed technical guidelines, you can download a brief from the government of the UK on how to make a compensation claim. But here’s what you can generally do to file a compensation claim in the UK.

Report the Authorities

This is the first and foremost thing to be done in case of an accident. Report the incident to the police, MIB, and emergency service if you need medical assistance.

Gather Evidence

If a driver has fled the scene, your priority is to confirm their identity. This is after you have sought the necessary medical treatment. Here’s what you can do to gather evidence of the accident.

Talk to Witnesses

Ask around if the witnesses were able to see the driver’s face or noted a car registration number.

Obtain CCTV Footage

It’s a legal right of those in an accident to claim and obtain CCTV footage of the area where the incident took place. You can get the CCTV footage showing the accident, the driver, and any peculiar details.

Document Your Injuries

You need to document your injuries through photographs and medical reports. Additionally, you can also ask your doctor to testify for you in court if needed.

Organize Compensation Receipts

In a hit-and-run accident, you will be paid for all damages incurred due to the accident. This means that medical bills, taxi fare, loss/damage of valuables, car repair, and everything else can be covered in the compensation. Therefore, keep a record of all the receipts to present in the case.

Seek Legal Help

While it’s possible for you to directly approach MIB and file for compensation, hiring a reputable lawyer in the UK is a better option. This is because the filing procedure, compensation negotiation, and apt presentation of the evidence are not manageable for a common person. Therefore, reaching out to a personal injury solicitor to represent your case will warrant better success.

What’s a Justified Compensation?

There’s no definite answer to this. Rest assured, all the damages that you have incurred, such as physical injury, medical and car bills, repair damages, and emotional trauma, will be covered under the compensation.

Moreover, many solicitors in London offer a no-win-no-fee system for such cases. This means that your lawyer’s fee will also be included in the compensation pay-out if your claim is successful.

Get Fairly Compensated 

If you want London’s best lawyers to present you in a personal injury claim, reach out to Wembley Solicitors. The firm offers assistance in compensation claims for all hit-and-run accidents.

This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!

What do you think?


Written by ricky

Leave a Reply

Streetwear Brands You Need To Wear In 2023

Attracting More Traffic to Your E-commerce Website